Some of my colleagues, have brought a disturbing game to my attention recently called “Miss Bimbo.” Because some of it’s users are as young as age 9, I thought it was my social responsibility to let you know about it. It started in Europe but unfortunately, the popularity of the game is spreading. It’s currently being condemned by parents who are outraged by the premise.
- According to CNN “When a girl signs up, they are given a naked virtual character to look after and pitted against other girls to earn “bimbo” dollars so they can dress her in sexy outfits and take her clubbing…”
- Parents are concerned that young people will see Miss Bimbo as a role model, “harmless fun” or as “a great catch” NOT as the ironic brainchild of young men over in Europe.
- Miss Bimbo can buy herself some virtual breast implants or facelifts, go on a kissing rampage, or try her best to “bag a billionaire.”
Parents have the power to guide their children online through internet safety. Here’s just one more reason to know what’s going on out there in cyberspace.
- Become computer literate and internet savvy
- Learn how to block material that is unacceptable in your household or for your children.
- Keep the computer in a place where you can monitor your children’s internet habits as they learn how to be safe and smart online.
- Talk to your children about what is acceptable and unacceptable on the internet. Be open to questions and get into a discussion of why certain sites are OK and others are not OK. Unanswered questions and secrecy can lead to curiosity and sneaky behavior.
- Let your children know that they must use their powerful words of responsibility, trust, honesty, and self reliance when it comes to being smart online.
- Bookmark acceptable sites and your children’s favorite sites for easy access.
- Spend time online together to teach your child responsible online behavior.
Have a Powerful Day!
Filed under: Body Image, Body Image Press, children, Dr. Robyn Silverman, Interesting Press, Media, Parenting tips, responsibility, Safety | Tagged: Body Image, character queen, children, Dr. Robyn Silverman, game, girls, internet safety, Miss Bimbo, outrage, parenting, warning |