We can express gratitude…
(1) Through a letter: Yesterday we talked about writing a letter to the teacher telling him or her all the ways s/he has helped you or your child. By writing a letter, you put longevity into words that allows the recipient to read and reread your appreciative statements. Tell them all the ways you are thankful. What a wonderful gift!
(2) Through a gift: There are plenty of gifts you can give to someone to show your appreciation. Whether it’s flowers, candy, homemade cookies, or simply something you saw that made you think of them, a little something can say a lot. Especially when you make it yourself or the gift is personalized in some way for that person, you can really show you’ve been thinking of the other person and what s/he means to you.
(3) Through spending time: As we know, children spell “love” T-I-M-E. Time together can show how much you appreciate someone else. Especially when you do something that is meaningful to the other person– see a movie they’ve been wanting to see, or even going somewhere that you know they’d rather not go to alone (like the hospital, to visit someone they have mixed feelings about, etc), you are saying that that person is important to you and that you appreciate all they’ve done.
(4) Through a song, dance, or art: Some of us have a creative spirit. Use it. If you sing beautifully, play the piano, write songs, draw, or paint, you can use whatever medium you desire to show someone how much you appreciate them. And no matter what kind of dancer you are, if you are grateful, you can show your gratitude through your movement. Just check out the gratitude dancers above!
(5) Through your own words: Just say how you feel. No time like the present! We often let time pass without saying a thing. If your husband is taking out the garbage and your wife has cooked your favorite meal, or your children cleaned their rooms without asking, make sure they know how much you appreciate it. In many families around the world, other spouses and children might not be as considerate. Don’t let sleeping dogs lie–remind yourself to do it often– tell them today!
Tell us how you express your gratitude. It’s a great time to let people know how much you care!